Monday, January 18, 2010

My StoryCorps Experience


Kathy and I at the StoryCorps Story Booth in NYC.

Some of you have asked me on Facebook about my experience at StoryCorps this weekend. I have a one word response: Wonderful!

Now that I have done it myself, I am going to encourage you all to participate in this initiative because I feel even more strongly about StoryCorps now. Your story is just as important as the person next to you, so there is no reason why you shouldn't get involved too. I decided to tell my story because a colleague encouraged me to do so. While I was an avid listener of StoryCorps, it never occurred to me that I could also participate. Thankfully my colleague was there to encourage me.

The StoryCorps story booth is located in Foley Square above City Hall Park in downtown Manhattan. Kathy and I arrived a few minutes early so we could take some pictures outside the booth in front of the glass windows. We then entered the booth to find our facilitator, John, who accomodated us and told us about the process for our 60 minute appointment. The room in which the recording is completed is tiny, but the lighting makes it cozy and comfortable. The storyteller talks for about 40 minutes total, and then there is time for pictures at the end of the session.

I am glad that StoryCorps records a copy of the session for participants. Honestly, I don't remember how my story came out, I just know it did because Kathy knew the right questions to ask me. I seemed to have entered some other dimension once the storytelling started. I remember when John did the sound check and he asked us to tell him what we had for breakfast. I said, "Scrambled eggs with melted cheese and a cappuccino. With lactaid." After that point when the storytelling started, I remember talking a lot. As someone who usually does a lot of listening, it felt really good to be in the seat of the storyteller this time.

Thank you, Kathy, for being with me on this special occasion. And thank you for being such a positive force in my life. I am fortunate to have you as a friend.

Thank you, John, for being a great facilitator. You made us feel at home and comfortable in your presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Circolo Calabrese